Certified General Accountants of Ontario, the Certified Management Accountants of Ontario and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario unified under one organization, CPA Ontario, effective July 2014.
Members in good standing with another provincial CPA body, may apply to the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario) for membership. Members are awarded the Chartered Professional Accountant together with any legacy designation and are entitled to use those designations in the manner prescribed in Regulation 4-7: Issuance and Use of Designations.
Eligibility For Admission to Membership
To be eligible to apply for membership on the basis of provincial transfer, an individual must:
- Hold membership in good standing with another provincial body and have been granted or permitted to use the designations Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Management Accountant, Certified General Accountant and/or Chartered Accountant by that provincial body
How to Apply for Admission to Membership
Please submit the following:
- Application for Membership on the Basis of Provincial Transfer Form (Form 4-1E)
- The Applicable Fee Remittance
- Proof of Legal Name - satisfactory evidence of legal name includes a copy of any one of the following: birth certificate or equivalent government-issued documentation, passport, both sides of a Canadian citizenship certificate card, both sides of a Permanent Resident Card, or landed immigrant papers. If the name under which you are applying to register is different from that which appears on the document submitted as proof of legal name, a copy of the document supporting the change of legal name, endorsed with “this is a certified true copy” signed and dated, is required;
- Provincial Institute Confirmation (Form 4-1F) - All applicants are required to provide confirmation of their membership on the province/territory of the provincial body. Such confirmation must be provided directly by th provincial body in the prescribed form (4-1F). Applicants are solely responsible for contacting their body and requesting that confirmation be provided directly to CPA Ontario.
Public Accounting Licensing Eligibility
Admission to membership in CPA Ontario and the granting of the right to use the designation Chartered Professional Accountant and the initials CPA in Ontario does not automatically qualify a member to be licensed as a public accountant. Members of CPA Ontario who seek to be licensed as public accountants must fulfill the specific requirements prescribed by the Public Accountants Council pursuant to the Public Accounting Act, 2004 and by the bylaws and regulations of CPA Ontario.
If you are interested in applying for a public accounting licence following admission to membership, please refer to Public Accounting Licensing.
It takes an average of six weeks from the time a complete application is received by CPA Ontario for an applicant to be admitted to membership.
The fees required for admission to membership are outlined on Application Form 4-1E. The fees required for an Ontario public accounting licence are outlined on application form 9-1A. Please refer to Regulation 4-2 Dues for a complete listing of fees.
An individual may be responsible for additional costs imposed by external parties. These costs are not levied by CPA Ontario and are beyond CPA Ontario’s control. Therefore, CPA Ontario is unable to advise individuals of the total gross or net costs (after taking into account reimbursements or other subsidies made available by external parties) of the registration and qualification to membership processes. All costs levied by CPA Ontario have been approved by Council and are found in Regulation 4-2, Dues.
Appeal Rights – Membership in the CPA Ontario
An individual who is denied membership in CPA Ontario, or who is admitted on terms and conditions, may appeal the decision of the Registrar to CPA Ontario’s Membership Committee. The parties to an appeal are the individual appealing and the Registrar. The appeal shall be conducted in accordance with CPA Ontario’s Rules of Practice and Procedure. The decision of the Membership Committee is final.
Telephone: 1 800 387.0735 extension 4323
Fax: 416 962.8900
Mail: 69 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON M4W 1B3 Attn: CPA Ontario Registrar’s Office